To the content To main menu

Patented stand-up pouch of monomaterial: The ecological all-rounder

Within the scope of its Recyclate Initiative, Werner & Mertz has reached another milestone on the way to a genuine circular economy. The company has brought to market the world’s first completely recyclable pouch of a monomaterial (polyethylene) with removable label, whose development followed Cradle to Cradle® principles. The innovative and patented pouch concept is the result of a four-year joint development project conducted by Werner & Mertz and the global packaging and paper firm Mondi. The concept solves the problem of recycling printed plastic. About 85 percent of the packaging material is not printed and therefore can be recycled with no loss of quality as it is not contaminated by ink. The remaining 15 percent, the printed label, is completely recyclable and, because no adhesives or bonding agents are used, the material can flow back into new applications. Certification recently was conferred by the independent Institut cyclos-HTP and Interseroh, which stated that the stand-up pouch has “very good recyclability that cannot be optimized any further.”